What the artist says :
I’m excited to introduce a deck of cards that has not only stretched me artistically, and has taught me a lot about our nations history, but also has become a project of passion.
The idea for this deck started with my kids and their love of trains, joined with my wife's ability to recall random history lessons from school and a theme began to emerge. As I thought about the strong images that came to mind when you think about the big steam engines, I knew I needed to find a topic to carry the theme that was just as big!
Golden Spike Playing Cards are inspired by the completion of the 1st Transcontinental Railroad On May 10th, 1869. It was the first rail line that connected the east to the west and revolutionized transportation and commerce in a post Civil War United States. A Golden Spike was created as a commemorative piece to celebrate the completion of the 1st transcontinental railroad and was driven into the ground where the Union Pacific met the Central Pacific Railroad at Promontory Point, Utah. When the hammer rang out and the golden spike was driven into the ground, a new era of industry and expansion rang out across the United States.
Each playing card deck has been illustrated using a cross hatch technique to mimic the style of engraving and lithographs that were common to the time period. Each card has been researched and given ample time to create and refine each illustration.
- Printed by the Legends Playing Card Company
- Only 1300 Printed
- Each court card, Ace and Ad cards will have original illustrations, capturing the feel of the era and the major players in the creation of the 1st Transcontinental Railroad
- Original Art for the Jokers and ad cards which will not be available in the Golden Spike "Bicycle" deck
- The Tuck case will be printed on the highest quality card stock and have Gold foil embossing and Gold metallic ink
- The tuck case will have an original illustration that depicts the Union Pacific train “119.”
- The Black Suites will have gold metallic ink for the Pips and Index symbols
- The Red suites will have red metallic ink for the Pips and Index symbols
- There will be an Ad card that will give the names of the characters